When I looked up replacements they were of the order of $160. After some research I decided to fabricate one from bits of steel I had lying about the place.
- Length of 15mm square steel
- 75mm x 5mm flat steel
- 3/4" water pipe
- 10mm nut
- Eccentric bar and circlips (recovered from the old tool rest)
- Bed securing assembly (recovered from the old tool rest)
I drilled two 20mm holes in the end places centered across and 5mm up from the bottom. I then welded these plates onto the 15mm bars I cut previously. This left a gap of about 50mm in the center for the eccentric bar. I then welded the piece of 3/4" pipe to the inside of the longer end plate to take the tool rest. After drilling a 10mm hole in the side of the pipe, using a short piece of threaded rod as a gauge, I welded a 10mm nut to the pipe to take the tool rest securing screw. I used a 10mm tap to clean up any splatter that obstructed the thread and to cater for any misalignment with the 10mm hole in the pipe.
The assembly was now complete. I then reassembled it and tested it on the lathe bed.
My thanks to Kryn over at the Woodworking Forums for the idea.